Lucky blood donor wins awesome hamper for donating during the month of September

70-year-old Prem Kaloo is the lucky donor who won an awesome hamper from the Ladysmith Blood Donor Clinic.

Mr Kaloo donated blood during the month of September and was entered into a lucky draw.

He has already donated 22 times and believes it is a worthwhile thing to do. “I love donating blood, as my aim is to save lives,” says Mr Kaloo.

As a blood donor, how often should you donate?

You can donate blood every 56 days.

The South African National Blood Service (SANBS) would like donors to commit to regular blood donation. This means at least four donations during a two-year period. This will assist in ensuring a safe and sufficient blood supply.

What happens to your blood after donation?

Less than 5% of blood is used as whole blood (the way you donated it). By separating the other 95% into its components – red blood cells, platelets and plasma – the unit you donated can save up to three lives. This is wonderful, considering that the whole process takes only about 30 minutes.

Your platelets can be used for a cancer patient, plasma to replace clotting in a trauma patient, and your red blood cells for patients who need surgery or have suffered complications during childbirth.

Click to receive news links via WhatsApp. Or  for the latest news, visit our webpage or follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Join us there!

  AUTHOR
Nameera Sarjoo
Journalist

Latest News

COMMENTS

Top

Thanks for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Estcourt News
Ladysmith Gazette
Newcastle Advertiser
Northern Natal Courier
Vryheid Herald


Get regular news updates sent directly to your inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
CLICK HERETo view an example of our newsletter

SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter

SELECT your titles:

Estcourt News
Ladysmith Gazette
Newcastle Advertiser
Northern Natal Courier
Vryheid Herald

Get regular news updates sent directly to you inbox.

Your source of local breaking news and trending stories from across the country.

Be a part of our growing community

Subscribe Here
1MILFacebook Fans
98KTwitter Followers
5MILMonthly Readers
12MILArticles Published Every Month
72Local Community Websites
Your details:


Your friends: